Thursday, April 8, 2010

On the Way to BART this Morning

Big bright bubbles of sunny laughter burst
from my lungs and I grin with the blue sky,
It's a beautiful day today.
Smiling at the cute chick biking with her brown
leather vest hugging her black and white horizontal
stripe shirt pedaling her fixie downhill in rhythm to
Vampire Weekend's "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa"
filling my head as I skip down the street
and I grin with the green trees.
Smiling at the deliciously heady scent of onion bagel
wafting out from Specialty's at the corner
with its burgundy parasols dotting the front,
tempting the passerbys to take a minute, enjoy
sipping coffee, munching cinnamon sugar morning bun,
a slice of heaven right there, in the concrete jungle,
and I grin with the chattering birds.
Smiling at the woman in her smart chocolate suit
with a fluff of afro, chic sunglasses,
clickety clack of  her stiletto heels reverberating,
Elderly couple walking hand in hand,
matching pastel yellow hooded sweatshirt,
a gigantic fanny pack decorating her belly,
a tiny boxy ice cooler trailing him,
I wonder if Travis and I will be like that one day.
I smile and I laugh, joyously, 
letting the bubbles burst forth once more,
lifting my head up to the sky,
breathing in this lovely day.
Thank you, Mother Earth, for this moment,
I am truly blessed because I love to live and I live to love.

3 comments:

  1. I love how this poem starts out by describing people on BART and then you bring it back home to you and Travis. I've always found poetry the hardest to write, but you have a really cool knack for it. I hope you're thinking about submitting your work. A cool SF online magazine that I think your work would be perfect for is Shampoo magazine - http://www.shampoopoetry.com/

    Continue writing and I'm glad to have friends with writing for me to read and be inspired by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sabrina, am glad you are enjoying the read and you are so right that having blog writer friends inspires and urges you to write as you inspire me to write as well! This poem actually describes peeps I saw on the way to BART; it was such a gorgeous day yesterday and I just could not stop grinning, lol...I will check out the mag, thanks for suggestion...and HAPPY FRIDAY! <3HJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. really enjoyed this piece. I can see you grinning!

    ReplyDelete